Writing tips - how to pick music topics for research paper
One of the really positive things about choosing a music topic for a research paper is the choice of topics available. Music is far from being a narrow and tightly defined subject. And this means that whatever your musical tastes or whatever your interests in music might be, there will always be a wide range of topics from which you can choose.
Remember there are benefits in choosing a research paper topic where you have an interest or a passion for the topic or have prior knowledge in the topic. The benefits are many and numerous. You will find it easier to research the topic. You will have enthusiasm for tackling the writing of the research paper. Your interest in the topic will shine through in your writing and this of course will impress your teacher or professor and boost your chances of obtaining an excellent result.
What tips should you follow in seeking a music topic for a research paper?
- Do you have a background in a particular aspect of music?
- Do you have a collection of recordings of music in a particular genre?
- Are you interested in pursuing a particular aspect of music in your further education?
- Do you have musical skills which you can take advantage of writing a research paper?
If when you get to high school or college and you are writing a research paper on a music topic, it might well lead to your advantage if you have had a solid music education to that stage. If you've got a background in a particular aspect of music, take advantage of that background and choose a topic which is related to your expertise.
It might be that you have a passion for a particular genre of music. You may have a large collection of recordings of this genre of music. If you are a performer, you may have performed many examples of this genre of music. All of these situations should assist you in choosing a music topic for a research paper.
Always look on your current education as a training ground or launching pad for your education or career of tomorrow. If you have a goal in mind and it involves music, then choosing a music topic for your research paper which is related to your goal is common sense.
If you have developed music skills over the years, it’s wise to choose a music topic for your research paper which is directly related to your music skills. This is an example where you need less research and more reference to your own pool of knowledge.
And here are some possible music topics for a research paper
- Choose an era to consider the history of music, baroque, classical, romantic or modern.
- How has the use of music in film changed over the years?
- How important is music in the world of advertising?
- In therapy sessions today, how is music used for medicinal purposes?
- Who is your favourite musician and why?
List Of Interesting Music Research Essay Topics To Write About
Research papers can be written in any classroom, even in the arts. Papers about musical topics are more enjoyable for students to write than the papers about scientific or literary topics. The reason that music papers are more fun for students to write is because there are so many interesting topics. Music research papers can be written about vocal music or instrumental music or theory topics. Here are some ideas:
- How has music changed over the decades?
- Who are the most influential musicians in an era?
- What makes music ¨classical¨?
- How does music affect dance?
- How does a musician break into the industry and become a professional?
- What are the most lucrative careers for musicians?
- How does music affect physical health?
- How does music affect mental health?
- How is music marketed to different age groups?
- How has music categorization affected sales?
- What is the future of the ¨album¨?
- How does music affect fashion?
- How does music affect advertising?
- What has impacted music more: classical music or rock and roll?
- Why are there so many tribute bands?
- How does music affect development in children?
- How does music affect learning and memorization?
- Explain the quote: ¨Music soothes the savage beast.¨
- How is music used during war time?
- Explain the differences between music and poetry.
- Trace the evolution of rap and how it affects culture.
- What has happened to jazz?
- Should the term ¨Indie¨ no longer be used in music?
Music topics can be general, large topics like genres, artists, or movements. These general topics are better suited for lower-level music courses instead of junior or senior level courses. When you get into graduate classes or more specific courses, it is better to focus on narrowed topics. When you choose a topic for a music research paper, you should always be sure the topic is arguable and does not have an obvious answer. If you want to make the topic more interesting for your and your reader, you can always argue the side that no one would imagine to be arguable.
The topic that you pick should be appropriate for the class, but you can manipulate the topic to fit your interest. So, if you are taking a course in music from the Renaissance, but you are really interested in modern rock music, you could compare the types of chords and messages in the two musical genres.