Think Tank is a great tool to use for generating ideas for topics of interest. Click on the image below to begin the interactive brainstorming tool:
Read and answer the following questions. Your answers do not have to be in complete thoughts, so use bullet points for each idea. The more you brainstorm, the more options you will have to choose from when selecting your topic for research.
- What am I interested in?
- What do I like to do for fun that might translate into an interesting paper topic?
- What do I feel strongly about?
- What do I know a lot about?
- What would I like to know more about?
- What are some issues or topics that are in the news right now that I find interesting and important?
- What are some issues or topics at my school that I find interesting and important?
- Can my friends or family members offer me suggestions for topics that I find interesting and important?
My top three topics that I want to further explore through research are the following:
After brainstorming and choosing your top 3 choices for a research topic, explore this link and choose three more possible choices that you would find interesting. Add the topics of choice to your list.
The following are some research topics my 5th graders came up with:
5A Research Topics:
Why Lacrosse is a challenging sport
Why the Vietnam War was One of the Worst of All Time
How Nuclear Missiles Cause Devastation
Why Steve Nash is the Best NBA Player
How Pirates have evolved Over Time
How Aircraft Carriers Can Improve
Autistic Savants: Drawbacks and Advantages
Why Jamar Chaney is the Best Rookie Linebacker in the NFL
The Challenges of Conquering Mt. Everest
Why Gil Stovall is One of the Best Swimmers in America
The Reasons for Butterfly Migration
Why High Fructose Corn Syrup is Unhealthy
UFO's: Myth or Reality
Why Golf is One of the Most Challenging Sports
Why the Octopus is One of the Most Exotic Animals Ever
Why Football is the Best Sport to Play
5B Research Topics:
The Causes and Effects of Sun Exposure
Why Mt. Everest is the Hardest Mountain to Climb
The Causes and Effects of Arthritis
The Cruelty of Using Animals for Entertainment in the Circus
Why Black Hawk Down Went so Bad
Why Beagles are Unique Dogs
The Importance of Recycling
What Makes America's Armed Forces the Most Advanced in the World
Why Golf is the Best Sport Ever
Why the Swine Flu is such a Perilous Disease
Why the University of Alabama is the Best College
The Negative Effects of Cigarettes
Why Alcatraz is World Famous
The Reasons Why Pet Snakes Should be Prohibited
5C Research Topics:
The Devastating Effects of World War II
Why the Red Birds is the Best AAA Baseball Team
How the Zulu Tribe of Africa lives a Unique Life
The Effects of Steroids
How Shoes Affect Your Running Form
The Yeti: Myth or Reality
Why Nike is the Best Brand in the World
The Causes and Effects of Tornadoes in Tornado Alley
Why Al Capone is the Most Notorious Gangster of all time
Why Ole Miss is the Best College
Why 9/11 was the Most Tragic Attack on America
How the Traditions of the Masters Were Created
The Causes and Effects of Snake Venom
Why Hurricanes are the Most Devastating Natural Disasters
The Causes and Effects of Dreams
UFO's: Myth or Reality
5D Research Topics:
Why Football is the Best Sport of all Time
The Benefits of Boy Scouts
Why Exotic Cars are the Fastest Cars Ever Made
Why Nike is the Best Merchandising Brand
Why German Shephards ard the Best Breed of Dog
Why Football is the Best Sport
The Likes and Differences of Native American and American Lacrosse
Lochness Monster: Myth or Reality
Why It's Essential for Kids to Play Sports
How the Mayans Created Amazing Architecture
Why the Beatles Are the Best Rock Group of all Time
The Benefits of Modern Day Warfare
Why Basketball is the Best Sport of all Time
How Lacrosse is the Most Strategic Game Invented
Check out my new digital learning website: GrammarCloud!
20 Intriguing Persuasive Essay Topics for 5th Graders
Understanding what makes a good persuasive essay
In order to come up with a good topic for a persuasive essay, it is important to think of a theme that has at least two different sides to it. Therefore, you can argue your point of view in an attempt to persuade the reader that your conclusion is the most valid.
Sometimes it can be good to go for a controversial topic; however, this is not always necessary. It is perfectly acceptable to go for a topic which you feel strongly about, even if it isn’t risqué. In fact, it does not even need to be a topic you feel strongly about, particularly as sometimes you may need to be arguing for the opposite side.
What is the difference between a persuasive and an argumentative essay?
If you are wondering what differences there are between a persuasive and an argumentative paper, then essentially there are none. They are both the same style of writing and the names are interchangeable; therefore, whether you are asked to write a persuasive or an argumentative paper, the approach is the same.
Twenty topics for a persuasive essay
The following is a list of titles that can produce good quality argumentative or persuasive papers:
- Should boys and girls play on the same teams at sport?
- Should schools allow students to bring pets in with them?
- Cats are better pets to own than dogs
- Should teachers use computer games to help with teaching in schools?
- Should computer games be seen as a form of sport?
- Should schools served deep-fried food and other unhealthy options for lunch?
- Should bullies be expelled from the educational system?
- Short hairstyles look better than longer cuts
- Is baseball not as appealing as it once was?
- Students should be rewarded for doing well.
- Should schools increase their revenue by selling sugary soda drinks and candy?
- Should cheerleading be considered a sport?
- Should school students be given less homework to do?
- Being skilful is more important than working hard.
- Should schools separate boys and girls in classes?
- Should schools allow students to snack whilst in class?
- Should schools begin morning classes later than they currently do?
- If students have to wear uniforms, should teachers also follow a similar dress code?
- Wearing school uniforms helps to improve the performance of students
- Should tablets and laptops be used instead of traditional school textbooks?